'Rent-ism number UMBILLION

OK, so yes I know I made that word up. But some days there are so many I just lose track. The 'Rent is a very smart woman who we have all underestimated for most of our lives. The main reason being, she blurts out things from time to time that leave you scratching your head trying to play catch up, only to find out you will NEVER get on that same playing field with her.

This week was my 44th birthday, and I got to have dinner with the 'Rent, my sibling and one of the nieces. While at dinner, one of the subjects discussed was music and concerts. I am a HUGE music fan. Probably my second greatest love besides books.

So my niece offers up that The Backstreet Boys will be coming to a local venue soon as we were discussing recent shows and upcoming shows. I was never a big fan but I appreciate the information just the same, and I am the appropriate age where she would think this was someone I would want to see. They were HUGE when we were her age. With that statement the 'Rent offers up that The Backstreet Boys were one of my brother's favorite bands.

<<<INSERT BLANK, VERY CONFUSED, LOST EXPRESSIONS AROUND THE TABLE, HERE>>

For reference, The Backstreet Boys would be a stretch for me to be a fan, mostly because of my musical tastes. My dearly departed sibling was 8 years OLDER THAN ME. He would not know a single song from The Backstreet Boys if they played on the radio every day for the last 25 years. They were not in his favored musical genre, nor would they ever get air play if they came on his radio. They would have gotten immediately turned off.

My sister and I looked at each other and then had to ask, "Do you mean Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band?"

'Rent, "Oh yes. That's it."
Me, "They aren't even remotely similar."
'Rent, "Whatever."

It was just too funny. Not so much her comment, which is pretty damn funny, so much as the utter confusion left in it's wake trying to translate a 'Rent-ism to Reality.

Comments

  1. Awww. Bless her heart, she was trying to be "of the moment" or "with it." Cute:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SUPASTAH!

Still Kicking

How to balance insanity?