Alrighty then. . .

*realized that I needed to place gentle reminder - Ramirez = former psycho in charge = serial killer boss*


Ramirez, "How's it going?"
Me, "Alright. Small stumbling blocks but I am pushing through."
Ramirez, "Glad to hear it."
Me, "Thanks. How are things with the new position?"
Ramirez, "Not as much fun as what I was doing before."
Me, "Well, I am sure it will change again soon."
Awkward silence as Ramirez scrolls through cell phone.
Ramirez, "Just dropped my laptop off with IT."
Me, "What happened?"
Ramirez, "No sound. I plugged earphones in and have never been able to get the sound to work again."
Me, "Oh, well I hope they get that fixed for you soon."
Ramirez, "I have to go bury my grandmother tomorrow."
Me, "I am so sorry to hear that!"
Ramirez, "It should have happened years ago."

BLANK FACE

Ramirez, "When I have gone away for business to XXXXXX the last three times I have lost a grandparent."
Me, "That is terrible, I am so sorry. Do you have to travel for the services or are they local?"
Ramirez, "We coincided it with the Masters, I leave for Augusta tonight after work."

BLANK FACE

Ramirez, "She had Alzheimer's. She has been gone for years."
Me with blank face still in place, "Well, no matter how much you are expecting it, it is still hard."
Ramirez, "My father is taking it hard."
Me (internally with blank face STILL IN PLACE, YA THINK?????) "I am sure. Again, my deepest condolences."
Ramirez, "Yeah, before the trip to XXXXXXX I was in XXX and my mother called while I was on a conference call, "Your Grandmother finally died.", OK, well I have to get back to my call."
Me - silence. complete and utter silence. . . .

Ramirez, "Well I better go get on my call."
Me, "OK, thanks for stopping by to check on me."

Comments

  1. Yanno, the first thing that came to my mind was how personal and unique the grief experience is, and how everyone experiences grief "in their own way." That aside? There are some folks whose callousness just ASTOUNDS. But then again, for all you and I both know, he probably experienced a more typical, expected grief response years ago when his grandparent first was diagnosed w/Alzheimers. That aside, I read nothing that would qualify as "relief" that his loved one is finally at peace. From my POV, for him, it seems, very matter of fact, like "the sky is still blue, and oh, my grandmother died."

    Still, the callousness in how he described the situation to you was nothing short of ... WOW. For a good lot of folks, grief gives some folks license to continue to be the obtuse, raging assholes they always have been. He obviously doesn't give a crap or isn't even aware that he's coming off as a total douche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was more just creepy. All of this was said in about the same way you would say, "Ugly weather we are having."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Still Kicking

How to balance insanity?

Ah Hypocrisy, how bountiful you be. . . . .